Kirghiztan mobilize against rebels


Yesterday the government of the Central Asian republic Kirghiztan proclaimed a state of emergency and mobilization in the southerly Osj region, where Islamatic rebels have taken four villages and keep about 20 persons as hostages.

A spokesman of the press at the Ministry of Defence in Kirghiztan said that the rebels during the last days received reinforcements and their force was numbered 650 men, split up into four or five groups. Last night some of their positions were bombed by fighter aircrafts. Some combat with firearms also took place on the ground. A customs officer on the governmental side, who participated in the acts of warfare, was killed.

President Askar Akajevs' spokesman of security matters, Bolat Dzjanozakov, said that the latest bigger encounter took place on Tuesday night at the village of Palatos about 40 kilometers south of capital Bisjkek. Ten Isalamtic rebels and soldier were killed.

Uzbekistan assist

The spokesman of the President didn't want neither to confirm or deny information about air-raids carried out by planes and pilots from the Uzbekistan Air Force. Uzbekistan and Kasakhztan have already offered Kirghiztan assistance in the form of men and materials.

According to Tadzhik authorities the rebels are Uzbek by birth and they have earlier fought in Tadzhikistan together with the Isamatic opposition of the neighbouring republic.

This Wednesday Akajev claimed that they try to form bases in the south of Kirghistan to be able to force themselves to control the populated Fergana valley which extends as far as into Uzbekistan.

The first group of rebels took seven persons among them four Japanese and a Kirghiz general as hostages. On Thursday Dzjanozakov said that nine militia, who controlled the border to Tadzhikistan, had disappeared and probably had been taken prisoners. Another source reported the number of militia to 18.

Unclear about hostages

The situation for the hostages is unclear. The Assistant of the Foreign Secretary of Japan, Keizo Takemi, is since this Wednesday in Bisjkek and has had talks with representatives of the Kirghiz government. Dzjanozakov characterized the situation as relatively calm. He said that the area was searched from air to confirm the number and armament of the rebels and how they cross the border. At the same time government forces tried to reinforce the siege around the occupied villages.

Akajev promised Takemi on Thursday that the troups won't make anything which can jeopardize the lives of the hostages. The Japanese were in the area to map out the presence of copper and precious metals. Takemi said at a press conference that Japan don't exclude the possibility to contribute with personnel of their own to save their fellow-countrymen.

A question if Tokyo is prepared to pay ransom to free the hostages was answered vaguely by Takemi.


To back