Old page below
The world's fastest skate sail, 120 km/h,
Copyright © 1997-2009 Anders Ansar.
All rights reserved.
A nice collection of wing sails posing before the start
of a race. Note the stabilizer on the wing to the left.
|The wing skate sail is, as far as I know,
the world's fastest skate sail. The sailor stands inside
the wing with skates on his feet. The wing hangs on his
shoulders and he leans into the wind to balance the the
force of the wind. It sail up to six times faster than
the wind. It is an easy to learn sport as long as you
Top speed is some 120 km/h (75 mph), we have measured 95 km/h (59
mph in a 6.5 m/s (13 knots) breeze but we sail in almost twice as
strong winds. I beat Skeeter ice boats
when I sailed in the USA. I have also been in the Russian city St.
Petersburg with the wing, but the ice was to rough for sailing. I
have sailed it on an Alp lake In northern Italy, Europe.
The wing skate sail is my contribution to high performance
- It is some 30 % faster than its predecessor, a breakthrough
in ice sailing.
- It is an extreme, potentially dangerous and fast sport. It is
a racing class in Sweden.
- Equipment is unlimited: "Sail and skates of any design." A
heaven for designers.
- Extreme performance for its weight, simplicity and cost
compared with ice boats.
- In a vision I have seen international competition. "The
international skate sail challenge". Anyone wants to challenge?
- What happens if you fall? is the most common question.
Answer: Usually you just slide on the ice with no damage or
- Around 75 wing skate sails have been built in Sweden.
Worldwide it may be 150 all together.
- Building and sailing instructions for wing
Next in Skate sailing index is: Wing
skate sail evolution.
Back to Skate sailing index.
Email, Postal address & Telephone number.
Modified July 2009. Counter: 11855.