The castle is designed by an unknown Dutch architect on an islet in the Finspång river. Louis de Geer the Younger had it constructed between 1668-1685. It is one of the most interesting castles in the country. The wings were constructed in 1742.
The castle grounds and the English park were laid out in various stages between the years 1690-1820 and were widely renowned at that time. There are numerous paths with beautiful views over the whole castle and works area. In the grounds lies the Aurora temple from 1780 and the summer pavilion Lugnet from 1820. The iron temple and the bridges over the many waterways in the grounds were all constructed in wrought iron at the works during the 1850's. The royal portraits have been hung here, in memory of the various royal visits to Finspång.
The orangery was built in 1832 by LJ von Röök. On its northern wall there are two murals painted by Pehr Berggren. The paintings are copies of works of art by the Italian artist Guido Reni.
The castle chapel came about as a result of the fact that the de Geer family and the Walloon immigrants belonged to the Reformed Church. It was given its present appearance in 1890.
On Works road you can see traditional works buildings from the 18th and 19th centuries. This is where the qualified workmen and clerical workers lived.